Thursday, May 9, 2024

The Rules of Validation

Whenever you are dealing with a large spreadsheet, it can often be easy to click on the wrong cell and input bad data. Excel has a built-in means to prevent this bad data from being inputted known as Data Validation.

Data Validation lets you set specific rules for a cell or a group of cells. These can range from text length, whole numbers, decimals and date and time and limiting what can be put in by a list of names or objects.

You can also add a special input message if you wanted someone to input a phone number or the specific type of data you are looking to validate. This can help the user figure out what exactly they need to put in.

Data Validation helps ensure the user of your spreadsheet puts in the data you require and helps stop the spread of bad data within the spreadsheet.

3 comments:

  1. Great job explaining data validation. You are indeed correct that mistakes can happen just by a simple click. That is why as you explained data validation is such an important tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hunter, I think I have not come across this data validation feature, or perhaps I have forgotten about it again. The list of things I need to explore during the semester break seems to be getting longer and longer. I thought I had covered everything, but after reading the blog, some of the features mentioned by bloggers are unfamiliar to me. It's possible they just slipped my mind (on the stage of being forgetful haha), and I haven't had the chance to practice them again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic since it really prevents the "Garbage In - Garbage Out" idiom from happening. As Glenda panted out, this feature slipped my mind and I appreciate you reminding me since it's really important.

    ReplyDelete